Payal Mehta, a student studying MSc International Human Resource Management and Comparative Industrial Relations, moved to Manchester from India for her master’s study – about her experience settling in and the top tips for new students she shared in her blog post below.
Why did you choose to study this Masters course at Alliance Manchester Business School?
“I chose to do an MSc in International Human Resource Management and Comparative Industrial Relations from Alliance MBS to pursue my 'people’s dream'. This course provided me the best reservoir of knowledge to reinforce my passion for people and diversity.
“Alliance MBS enjoys a great reputation. It is one of the best business schools in the UK and is highly ranked in world university rankings. This coupled with the CIPD accreditation reinforced my decision to study here.”
What is the best thing about studying at Alliance MBS?
“The best thing about studying here is its modern facilities that aid the teaching and learning process. The classrooms are very well equipped, the library has a wide variety of resources and the people are always willing to help.”
What advice would you give to those considering studying at Alliance MBS?
“Choose a course that is in line with your interests."
“Apply early as Alliance MBS is one of the most sought after business schools and a large number of students apply so admission to the school is very competitive."
“Come with an open mind, the experience of studying here is like no other and it offers a multitude of opportunities for both personal and professional growth.”
My tips as an international student
“My life changed when I chose to study at The University of Manchester. Moving away from home is never easy. When I received my acceptance at the University, I had a panic attack! Don’t get me wrong, of course I was happy, elated really. However, I was so anxious about how I would live by myself in a foreign country. If you are having similar thoughts, I can assure you, you aren’t the only one. And while that is completely understandable, I promise The University of Manchester is everything you could ever dream of and more.
“I have been in Manchester for a little while now, and everyday is a new adventure. The University has lots of activities for ‘freshers’ and no two days are the same. The people are friendly and helpful. You never feel like you are alone. There’s always someone to help you, no matter what the situation is.
“Here are the things that I recommend you must do in your first few weeks here.
- Put up pictures of your family and friends in your room and video call them every day!
- Don’t bring a lot of groceries and clothes from home. You get everything in Manchester. Just bring ethnic wear.
- Explore the campus.
- Go for tea-time at the International Society. You’ll meet people from all over the world and have wonderful conversations with them.
- Step out of your comfort zone, keep your door open and interact with the people who stay in your building.
- Don’t stress about academics, focus on settling down. Everyone at uni understands that you need some time to adjust. They’ll be more than willing to help you with any difficulties you face.
- Reach out! Everyone at The University Of Manchester is working towards making your transition here as smooth as possible. All you need to do is, talk to them.
- Download the UniDays App! Sometimes it pays to be a student. There are student discounts for almost everything!
- Drink water! It’s always cold in Manchester and you won’t feel like drinking water but make sure you keep yourself hydrated.
- And lastly, celebrate, you made it to one of the best Business Schools in the World!
“Great things never come from comfort zones. Come to Alliance MBS, this is where the magic begins!”