From India to England
From living with family and friends to living on my own.
From always staying in protected environments to being the first kid of the family to study abroad.
From entering the kitchen only to keep used plates to cooking all my meals.
My life changed when I chose to study at The University of Manchester. Moving away from home is never easy. When I received my acceptance at The University Of Manchester, I had a panic attack! Don’t get me wrong, of course I was happy, elated really. However, I was so anxious about how I would live by myself in a foreign country. If you are having similar thoughts, I can assure you, you aren’t the only one. And while that is completely understandable, I promise UoM is everything you could ever dream of and more.
I have been in Manchester for a little over a month now, and every day is a new adventure. The University has lots of activities for freshers and no two days are the same. The people are friendly and helpful. You never feel like you are alone. There’s always someone to help you, no matter what the situation is.
In the coming weeks, I’ll share my journey with you but before I do that, in today’s blog I’ll tell you the things you MUST do in your first few weeks here.
- Put up pictures of your family and friends in your room and video call them every day!
- Don’t bring a lot of groceries and clothes from home. You get everything in Manchester. Just bring ethnic wear.
- Go for all the fairs. The Freebie Fair is worth attending!
- Go for the City Bus Tour. It’s free!
- Explore the Campus.
- Go for Tea-Time at the International Society. You’ll meet people from all over the world and have wonderful conversations with them.
- Step out of your comfort zone, Say Hello to at least 5 new people every day. Everyone is new to the city and struggling to make friends, a warm hello can lead to a lifelong friendship.
- Don’t stay in your room all day, keep your door open and interact with the people who stay in your building.
- Don’t stress about academics, focus on settling down. Everyone at Uni understands that you need some time to adjust. They’ll be more than willing to help you with any difficulties you face.
- Reach out! Everyone at the University Of Manchester is working towards making your transition here as smooth as possible. All you need to do is, talk to them.
- Do NOT miss the trip to Brathay. You’ll spend the best 24 hours of your life there.
- Stop and appreciate just how beautiful the city is.
- Stay safe. Don’t leave your stuff unattended and stay alert.
- Go to PRIMARK. That’s the one-stop-shop for all your clothes, shoes and bedding. And it doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket.
- Download the UniDays App! Sometimes it pays to be a student. There are student discounts for almost everything!
- Go for day outs with friends and explore the city.
- Drink water! It’s always cold in Manchester and you won’t feel like drinking water but make sure you keep yourself hydrated.
- And lastly, celebrate, you made it to one of the best Business Schools in the World!
Great things never come from comfort zones. Come to AMBS, this is where the magic begins.