The Centre for Financial Technology (FinTech) Studies
Established in autumn 2022, the Centre for Financial Technology (FinTech) Studies is a knowledge and research hub for digital advancements in finance, including cryptocurrency, blockchain and artificial intelligence, and offers a broad range of specialist courses and research areas for students and academics, spanning topics such as green finance, non-fungible token (NFT) analysis, and open finance.
The Centre, while builds on extensive financial technology expertise across Alliance Manchester Business School, also acts as a knowledge-sharing platform, bringing together FinTech firms and financial services institutions from across Manchester and the UK via regular conferences and seminars. It also collaborates with industry partners to provide theoretical insights and practical solutions to help organisations.
The rate at which digital innovation is shaping the financial services sector has accelerated dramatically since the Covid-19 pandemic, and the new Centre leads on pioneering research which helps businesses to keep up with these ongoing developments and which makes a real-world impact. By bringing leading researchers closer together we also accelerate research into these new areas.
Friday, February 26, 2021
An independent review, led by British Entrepreneur Ron Kalifa OBE, that sets out a strategy to put the UK at the top of the global fintech league table has profiled Alliance Manchester Business School’s (AMBS) “dual mission” to support the growing fintech revolution. >>
FinTech at The University of Manchester
The University has been growing its activity in FinTech over the past two years and is looking to scale-up significantly. Since 2017, the University has:
- Established a partnership with FinTech north
- Created an internal multidisciplinary academic network
- Hosted two “innovation lab” events to develop collaborative projects with industry partners
- Attended various regional, national and international conferences to gain insight into developments in the sector and identify potential new partnerships for collaboration
- Built relationships with the local business ‘eco-system’ and with international businesses with interests in the field to align interests and develop new opportunities for R&D collaborations.
- Hosted the Manchester event of the FinTech north conference series (the city’s only major FinTech conference)
FinTech in Greater Manchester
Greater Manchester is one of Europe’s leading digital and technology clusters. It is home to more FinTech start-ups and scale-ups than any other UK region outside London. [Source of all stats: Greater Manchester FinTech Ecosystem Report 2020]
The fastest growing tech city in Europe in 2019
More ecommerce unicorns than any city in Europe
Highest percentage of B2C FinTech companies in the UK (outside London)
"At Alliance Manchester Business School, we’re on a dual mission. We are developing cutting-edge research to support the FinTech revolution. We are also dedicated to educating the next generation of analysts, managers, stakeholders, regulators, investors, and entrepreneurs."