Study online from anywhere in the world
Attend workshops twice a year in Manchester, Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong or Dubai (6 days per semester)
Taught by one of the world's most experienced accounting and finance teams
The MSc Financial Management will equip you with the financial acumen you need to succeed and solve business challenges in any sector. Whatever function you work in, skills and knowledge in areas such as corporate finance, financial markets and financial accounting will build your credibility and ability to see the big picture for your organisation.
This part-time Master's degree will introduce you to sophisticated finance tools and techniques and give you an understanding of financial markets and institutions within a global context. You will learn how to:
- Understand the interplay between well-functioning financial markets and successful companies
- Apply a full range of financial techniques to real-life business situations
- Describe, analyse and interpret financial data from markets and companies
- Search and gather relevant financial information from multiple sources, including companies' annual reports and financial databases
- Offer data-based solutions to complex and relevant business challenges, for example:
- Evaluating the performance and riskiness of a company or an asset
- Selecting valuable investment projects
- Determining the type of capital a company should raise to fund investment
- Analysing a company's financial strategy
- Foundation units in finance and accounting
- Units in more advanced areas of finance
- A final supervised project where you will analyse and exploit real-world financial information to address a complex business challenge. This is an opportunity to deepen your finance knowledge and apply the skills and techniques you have learned.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4|
Foundations of Accounting
Financial Statement Analysis
Venture Capital and Private Equity
Foundations of Finance
Global Financial Markets
International Financial Management
Business Models and Financial Strategy
Data Analysis & Statistical Techniques
|Quantitative Methods for Financial Management||
Group Research Project
Want to know more?
How will I learn?
This Master's degree in Financial Management is delivered through a part-time blended learning format. The majority of the teaching is online, so you can study flexibly at a pace that suits your own requirements and lifestyle. You will also get the opportunity to learn and share experiences with classmates from across the globe at face-to-face workshops in Manchester.
What does a typical course unit look like?
- Delivered online + three-day face-to-face workshop (either at the start or around the middle of the teaching period)
- Studied over a five-month period (total of 150 hours of study per unit)
- Taught from an applied perspective using practical elements, such as problem-solving, case studies, interactive activities and online quizzes, so you can apply your learnings immediately
- Assessed by ongoing coursework with no exams (you will typically complete two individual/group assessments per unit)
- Informed by the latest cutting-edge research in finance
- Taught by academics with extensive financial expertise and significant finance teaching experience
When will I attend workshops?
You will attend one workshop per semester (four in total) at Alliance Manchester Business School's brand new campus in Manchester, Shanghai, Dubai, Singapore or Hong Kong (your workshop location wll depend on your conutry of residence).
|Year one||Year two|
|2 x 3-day workshops in September 2021||2 x 3-day workshops in September 2022|
|2 x 3-day workshops in May 2022||2 x 3-day workshops in May 2023|
A Manchester experience, online
Every aspect of our MSc in Financial Management is developed and delivered by The University of Manchester. This ensures you get the best quality learning experience, wherever in the world you are based. Throughout your studies, you will also have access to a dedicated study advisor, wellbeing support and digital services to support your learning, including libraries and financial databases (see below).
The Finance Zone
From the moment you start the course, you will have access to Alliance Manchester Business School's Finance Zone, one of the UK’s most comprehensive collections of specialist financial and business databases. These resources are used by top researchers around the world and include Bloomberg, Datastream, Thomson ONE, Compustat, WRDS, Capital IQ plus many more.
Fees and scholarships
The tuition fee for the 2021 intake is £19,500 payable in four instalments before the start of each semester.
The £19,500 fee covers your tuition. It does not cover your accommodation and flight costs when travelling to the face-to-face workshops.
- Students registered with the Middle East Centre are required to pay 5% VAT on top of the tuition fee, which is a mandatory requirement of the government of the UAE. The VAT will be added to the tuition fee payable and is applicable regardless of the student’s nationality or residency.
- Singapore residents are required to pay the prevailing GST, which will be added to the tuition fee payable.
Early application discounts
- Candidates who apply to the Manchester or Shanghai centre by 24th May will receive a 10% discount
We offer the following scholarships for the MSc Financial Management:
Young Professionals Scholarship: Four scholarship places are available: 40% tuition fee discount (£7,800 each)
- Women in Finance Scholarships: Four scholarship places are available: 30% tuition fee discount (£5,850 each)
- University of Manchester alumni will receive a 15% tuition fee discount
- Corporate partners with 3 or more students enrolled on the programme will receive a 15% tuition fee discount for each student
Singapore, Hong Kong & Dubai Centre discounts
- Students applying to the Singapore, Hong Kong or Dubai Centre will all be eligible for a 15% discount on tuition fees
Who should apply?
The MSc in Financial Management is designed for professionals based anywhere in the world who are looking to build knowledge and skills in finance. It is ideal if you:
- Have no finance experience and seek a career change into the financial services sector
- Need to build more substantial skills and knowledge in finance to further your career (in any sector)
- Are looking to build on existing finance experience to progress your career in financial services (or a related industry)
- 1st or 2:1 UK Bachelor's honours degree or international equivalent from an institution recognised by NARIC
- A Master's degree or international equivalent from an institution recognised by NARIC
We expect that most candidates interested in this Master’s will have a degree in engineering, mathematics, business, management, economics, science or other relevant subjects; however, your degree can be in any discipline if you can demonstrate that you have good numeracy and quantitative ability.
We can also consider:
- Candidates with a 2:2 UK Bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, with at least one year of relevant professional experience who can demonstrate their suitability and motivation for this Master’s course. The degree should be in a relevant subject with good grades in quantitative subjects. An interview may be required.
All candidates will require a high level of English language competency: speaking, writing, listening and reading.
"The MSc in Financial Management provides the tools and skills that today’s managers require and will help you build a successful career in any industry that requires financial acumen."