Data and AI for Leaders
Build confidence in your understanding of data and artificial intelligence (AI) and find a new platform for progress.
Guest lectures from Vlad Jiman, Director of Data at N Brown and Rachael Hardman, Data Science Team Lead at Peak
Get under the skin of data and AI technologies, models and more. With guidance from Alan Turing Institute fellows Julia Handl and Richard Allmendinger, explore how these technologies can transform organisations and provide a foundation for making more deliberate business decisions.
By challenging yourself to think critically and conceptually, begin building towards a high-level of data literacy. Learn to weigh technologies and their potential impact and discover a confidence in numbers you didn’t realise existed.
- 4 days
- 28 Nov - 1 Dec 2023
- Contributes to the Manchester Professional Diploma in Leadership
Whichever industry you work in, data and AI literacy is fast becoming a fundamental and sought-after skill, and it’s increasingly important for decision-makers to have the ability to integrate this knowledge into the strategic choices they make.
Develop the skills needed to make impactful, data-driven decisions within your business, and build your conceptual understanding of AI and how it can be applied within your organisation.
This practical four-day course will touch on three main themes – the different tools available to analyse and derive predictions, the transparency of models and understanding human bias in data models.
- Understand the importance of visual analytics and storytelling
- Explore the uses and misuses of statistics
- Interact with pre-designed data visualisations, AI models and dashboards
- Discover the principles of unsupervised learning and cluster analysis
- Explore Alliance Manchester Business School’s Data Visualisation Observatory
- An introduction to supervised and deep learning in practice
- Understand the difference between Classification vs Regression
- Critically evaluate and compare pre-designed models to assess predictions and interpretability
- Explore reinforcement learning and optimisation
- Understand simulation, including modelling of uncertainty
- An introduction to fairness and model boundaries
- Explore multi-criterion decision-making within group settings
- Understand the difference between augmentation vs automation of decision making
- Deliver a presentation critically analysing a data set of your choice and discuss at least one AI application with the data
There will be a networking drinks reception on evening one where you will get to know your course colleagues. There will also be a course dinner on evening three, in an iconic Manchester venue, offering the opportunity for your class to come together with a wider cohort of short-course learners to expand your networking opportunities.
Built with the aim of connecting theory to practice, this course will help you gain valuable industry insights from world-leading experts through a variety of interactive teaching and learning methods.
Delivered face-to-face at Alliance Manchester Business School’s Executive Education Centre, you will take part in collaborative workshops, group discussions and activities, and hear from a selection of inspiring guest speakers including Vlad Jiman, Director of Data at N Brown, and Rachael Hardman, Data Science Team Lead at Peak.
You will also have the opportunity to explore Alliance Manchester Business School’s state of the art Data Visualisation Laboratory and experiment with your own data sets.
Designed to break down access barriers and reduce complex language surrounding data and AI, this course uses case studies, prepared models, and dashboards to emphasise the practicality of AI models and business applications.
We aim for several stand-out learning experiences, including:
Applied Learning A learning environment created by the course facilitator that draws on the experience and input of your course peers.
Knowledge Transfer A steady stream of feedback from participating peers with diverse business backgrounds on, for instance, how they have implemented data and AI within their organisation.
Reflection A rare time-out to contemplate your own opportunities and challenges while engaging with our world-class faculty.
Network Expansion An expanding professional network drawn from your peers.
Personal Growth An expanding self-awareness of your own competencies and how they can be honed.
Behavioural Change An adoption of new rationales and mindsets that improve decision making.
Facilitated Challenge A regular raising of difficult questions by the course facilitator designed to take you away from your work environment into new work-territory.
The Manchester Experience An exciting and varied after-class evening programme shared with your peers in the industrial-revolution City of Manchester.
- Strengthen your decision-making capabilities with data and AI models and outputs
- Understand the ethical, legal and social responsibility issues around the use of AI
- Develop data literacy and data storytelling capabilities
- Discover the technical terms and key questions to ask about AI models
- Gain expert insights through real-world case studies and industry speakers
- Become a member of the AMBS Executive Education Network and benefit from top-class speaker events, regular updates, and networking opportunities with like-minded professionals
- Take time out to reflect on your own skill set and engage with AMBS’s world-class faculty
- Strengthen your ability to spot risks and opportunities for your organisation through data interpretation skills
- Streamline your organisation’s decision-making and discussions surrounding data and AI when working with and managing technical teams
- Exceed organisational objectives by improving productivity and performance through data and analytics
- Confront key issues your organisation may be facing around the deployment of data and AI models and understand how to resolve them
This course would suit general or technical managers and leaders from a wide range of industries with a basic understanding of data. You should be looking to improve your ability to interpret and critically analyse business data and AI models to meet the needs of your organisation.
No coding or programming experience is required to take part in this course.
Bringing together an exceptional amount of expertise, research and refined knowledge in the subject area of Data and Artificial Intelligence, Julia Handl, Professor in Decision Sciences, is joined by Richard Allmendinger, Professor of Applied Artificial Intelligence, to deliver this insightful and data-focused course.
Having worked with a wide range of world-renowned organisations such as Siemens, BAE Systems, IBM and Fujitsu, the team deliver this course based on a vast range of real-world experiences that showcase theories being put into practice.
Julia’s core methodological expertise lies at the interface between optimisation and machine learning, and she has a keen interest in the development and use of these techniques in challenging application areas.
Richard's research interests focus on the development and application of data optimisation, learning and analytics techniques to real-world problems arising in areas such as healthcare, manufacturing, economics, sports, music, and forensics.
Upon successful completion of this short business course, participants will be awarded the Manchester Professional Certificate in Data and AI for Leaders.
You will also receive a digital Manchester Professional Certificate in Data and AI for Leaders from Accredible, in the form of an online certificate and badge which can be displayed on LinkedIn profiles and represents completion and participation in the course.
You can choose to curate your own curriculum by attending any four courses from our extensive portfolio. On completion of the four courses of your choice, you will be awarded the Manchester Professional Diploma in Leadership.
Speak to a team member
If you have any questions or would like to chat to us about this course and how it could benefit you, please get in touch with the course advisor.