Psychology of Leading People
Understand who you are as a leader and learn tried and tested ways of managing yourself and others for high performance.
Guest Lecture with Simon Hayward, Managing Director at Accenture
Whether you are an aspiring leader, a seasoned manager, or stepping into a new management role, you will no doubt be wanting to get the most out of yourself and your team. But, before leaping into improvements and efficiencies, have you asked yourself what kind of manager you are? Or explored how you can use your management skills to positively impact the business?
Professor Robin Martin’s evidence-based, practical course, Psychology of Leading People, will help you discover, strengthen and effectively implement your leadership skills within your organisation. From in-depth insights on managing yourself and others, to best-practice examples from more than 140 leading organisations, you will gain a greater understanding of how management is evolving in an ever-changing world.
- 4 days
- 11-14 Jul 2023
15-18 Jan 2024
- Contributes to the Manchester Professional Diploma in Leadership
This four-day course offers a unique, personalised learning experience through an exploration of different management and leadership techniques to help you become an effective leader.
The course content will focus on three key themes, each developing vital skills needed to lead teams successfully – Managing self, Managing others, and, Managing teams and organisations.
Your learning will start prior to the course where you will be invited to complete an online survey to assess some of your key managerial skills (including, your personality, motivators, relationship-building skills, emotional management and leadership styles). During the course, you will then receive a personalised report based on your survey responses for self-reflection and interpretation.
The course starts by focussing on the first of the three course themes – Managing self – where we will:
- Examine a range of self-serving biases and how you react to success and failure
- Explore different personality types in the workplace and how to deal with individual differences
- Discover approaches to regulating your interpersonal emotions
We will then begin to further explore the second course theme – Managing others – where we will:
- Explore the motivations of others as a tool to improve productivity and performance
- Examine strategies for influencing your teams and forming relationships with colleagues
- Analyse different leadership styles and how to adopt them
Delving deeper into the third course theme – Managing teams and organisations - you will learn how to:
- Understand team working tactics and organisational politics
- Investigate strategic leadership techniques including how to manage people within managerial positions
- Discuss industry case studies to identify their successes and failures
Finally, we will combine the learnings of the course through:
- Team presentations reflecting on learnings and how to apply them to your workplace
- Case studies of good practice in different organisations
- Assessment of what you have learnt and your future route to leadership success
There will be a networking drinks reception on evening one where you will get to know your course colleagues. There will also be a course dinner on evening three, in an iconic Manchester venue, offering the opportunity for your class to come together with a wider cohort of short-course learners to expand your networking opportunities.
Delivered face-to-face at Alliance Manchester Business School’s Executive Education centre, this course involves a range of interactive learning styles including self-evaluation, self-reflection, group activities and discussions and the analysis of business case studies.
Throughout the course, you will connect theory with practice, hear from industry-leading speakers including Simon Hayward, Managing Director (Global Leadership and Culture) at Accenture, and Professor of Practice at Alliance Manchester Business School. You will network with a variety of business leaders as well as working with other delegates to apply core aspects of the course to your organisation.
During your time on this course, you will gain several stand-out learning experiences, including:
Applied Learning - A learning environment created by the course facilitator that draws on the experience and input of your course peers.
Knowledge Transfer - A steady stream of feedback from participating peers with diverse business backgrounds to help build your leadership skills.
Reflection - A rare time-out to contemplate your own leadership capabilities and challenges while engaging with our world-class faculty.
Network Expansion - An expanding professional network drawn from your peers.
Personal Growth - An expanding self-awareness of your own leadership competencies and how they can be honed.
Behavioural Change - An adoption of new rationales and mindsets that improve your managerial skills.
The Manchester Experience - An exciting and varied after-class evening programme shared with your peers in the industrial-revolution City of Manchester.
- Learn about yourself – your key leadership skills and strengths through a psychometric assessment
- Build the skills to lead effectively and confidently in a variety of management settings
- Discover how to take structured and data-informed approaches to decision making when leading
- Gain expert insights through real-world case studies and industry speakers
- Become a member of the AMBS Executive Education Network and benefit from top-class speaker events, regular updates and networking opportunities with like-minded professionals
- Bring evidence-based and contemporary learnings on leadership to your workplace and help to develop and empower emerging leaders
- Nurture team relationships and learn tools to increase your team’s morale both in person and remotely
- Exceed organisational objectives by improving performance and employee retention
- Gain the ability to reflect critically when analysing your organisation’s performance and suggesting improvements
This course is suited to business professionals who aspire to or have a responsibility for leading and managing teams, or individuals who are in the process of moving into a managerial role and want to enhance their skills to become an effective leader.
The course shows how the main theories of being a successful leader can be applied to different types of people, organisations, and cultures, meaning the course content can easily be applied to all industries and businesses.
Professor of Organisational Psychology and Programme Director, Robin Martin, has researched in the area of leadership for over 30 years. Professor Martin has extensive experience of designing and delivering leadership development courses to over 140 organisations from around the world and from this, he has developed his expertise in how managers can build effective relationships with their teams through a range of psychological principles.
Upon successful completion of this short business course, participants will be awarded the Manchester Professional Certificate in Psychology of Leadership.
You will also receive a digital Manchester Professional Certificate in Psychology of Leadership from Accredible, in the form of an online certificate and badge which can be displayed on LinkedIn profiles and represents completion and participation in the course.
You can choose to curate your own curriculum by attending any four courses from our extensive portfolio. On completion of the four courses of your choice, you will be awarded the Manchester Professional Diploma in Leadership.
Speak to a team member
If you have any questions or would like to chat to us about this course and how it could benefit you, please get in touch with one of our course advisors.