Student Exchange Programme
Spend a year abroad studying at one of our partner institutions and broaden your horizons.
Combine your studies in Manchester with the cultural experience of university life in another country - from Singapore to the USA. All of our exchange partners teach in English.
First-hand knowledge of another culture can be crucial in business.
Spend your third year abroad studying at a partner institution before returning to Manchester for your final year on BSc (Hons) International Management.
Many of our exchange partners feature in the top Financial Times rankings or Shanghai JiaoTong global rankings and all classes are taught in English. Our dedicated international team prepare you for your exchange and support you while you are away.
You also have the opportunity to secure an international summer internship to further enhance your employability. With study at two world-class institutions, extensive travel opportunities and added work experience there’ll be no stopping you after graduation.
Benefits of study abroad
- Broaden your horizons and increase cultural awareness
- Gain independence and enhance employability
- Build an international network
- Secure an international summer internship
Study, work, travel - it's up to you...
Nothing will ever beat this year - without a doubt the best 12 months of my life with the most incredible people you could ever meet - I would relive it 1,000 times if I could!
Our exchange partners
As a BSc (Hons) International Management student you can choose from a wide range of exchange partners across Europe, Southeast Asia, Australasia, USA and Canada:
- Aalto University, School of Business, Helsinki, Finland
- Bocconi University, Milan, Italy
- Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
- EM Strasbourg Business School, Strasbourg, France
- Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- ESADE, Barcelona, Spain
- IESEG, Lille, France
- Stockholm Business School, Stockholm University, Sweden
- University of Economics, Prague, Czech Republic
- University of St Gallen, Switzerland
- Vienna University of Economics & Business, Austria
- VU, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Babson College, Wellesley, Massachusetts
- Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Fisher College of Business, Ohio State University, Ohio
- Goizueta Business School, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia
- Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
- Michael G Foster School of Business, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
- Robert H Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- The Stern School of Business, New York University, New York
- The University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
- The University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts
- W P Carey School of Business, Arizona State University, Arizona
- Warrington College of Business Administration, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
- Queen’s School of Business, Queen’s University, Ontario
- Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto, Ontario
- The Richard Ivey School of Business, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario
Exchange facts and figures
exchange partners across 16 countries and 4 continents
of students on our international programmes achieved a 1st or 2:1 degree in 2022
Earning potential increases by 8.3% for study abroad students (HEFCE)
in work or further study within 6 months (Discover Uni, 2022)
What will it cost?
Budgeting for your year abroad requires a degree of forward planning and consideration. You will receive a significant tuition fee discount for your exchange year and may be eligible for additional financial support depending on your personal circumstances.
You should consider:
Please visit the appropriate country websites for visa costs. In order to obtain a visa, students going to some destinations may be required to provide evidence of sufficient financial support during their stay. For students travelling to the US, the amount required can range from $9,000-25,000 USD and will vary between institutions. For Canada, this is generally in the region of $10,000 CAN.
Long haul air fares to Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, the US and Canada can be particularly expensive, particularly at peak times. Also consider any other travel costs during the exchange period - during holiday periods, for example.
Insurance / Health
The University’s student travel insurance policy provides cover for students undertaking study abroad as part of their course. Some of our partner institutions may also require you to purchase additional compulsory health insurance. This can vary from £200 - £2,000.
Tuition fee discount
You will receive a significant tuition fee discount for your exchange year. Additional support is available to UK students from low-income households.
Students do not pay academic tuition fees to the exchange partner.
N.B. The above information is subject to confirmation each academic year.
Accommodation costs vary according to country, university and whether you opt for private accommodation. Also consider the cost of housing during vacation periods and consider the current exchange rate. Accommodation offered can often be in a shared room.
Funding and travel grants
Some exchange destinations offer scholarships which are usually based on academic merit.
Students who live in England should visit www.gov.uk/travel-grants-students-england for information about travel grants. You may be eligible for financial support to help cover the cost of up to three return flights as well as medical insurance and travel visas.
Other costs to consider
– Travel costs can vary hugely between partner institutions
– Food and entertainment
– Books, equipment and supplies
– Possible administration fee
Many institutions provide a breakdown of approximate living costs for the year on their websites.
International exchange gallery