Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer

How to fund your UK master’s degree as an EU student

If you're from the EU and thinking about studying for a master's degree in the UK, there are a number of funding opportunities available to you.


Alliance MBS offers a number of scholarships across our master’s courses, the value of which will go towards the cost of the tuition fee.

Our scholarships have no application process and all applicants will automatically be considered for these scholarships.

Money Matters: Funding for your master’s at AMBS >>

UK Government Master’s Loan

Student Finance England recently announced that students wishing to study a master’s course in 2020/21 can apply for a loan from the UK government. The postgraduate student loan is not means-tested and is paid directly to you, to use for tuition and/or living costs.

You can receive up to £11,222 if your course starts on or after 1 August 2020.

Read The University of Manchester’s postgraduate loan guide >>

Am I eligible?

You may be eligible if you are an EU national and all the following apply:

  • You’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)
  • You’ll be studying at a university or college in England

Read more about eligibility for the postgraduate loan >>

How to apply

Applications are open now and you can apply online on the UK government’s website. It is best to apply as early as possible so that you receive your loan for the start of your course. You don’t need to have received an offer for a place on the course you have applied for in order to submit your loan application.

How to apply for the PGL loan >>

FindAMasters PGL loan guide >>