Part-Time MBA Entry Requirements
Entry for this part-time MBA course is competitive and we are looking to recruit the most talented, high potential MBA candidates.
We’re not just looking for years of experience and high test scores. Our holistic part-time requirements evaluate everything from academic credentials to career progression, leadership experience and entrepreneurial talent. We will also assess your potential to enhance your class's professional and cultural diversity.
We will take all elements of your into account during the MBA admission process: application form, essays, references, CV/résumé, degree and professional qualifications, admission test score, English level and interview. Our admissions committee will assess each element against the MBA eligibility criteria below. Good luck and we hope to welcome you to the programme!
Please contact our friendly team if you have any questions about our MBA requirements:
Intellectual ability / achievements
Good academic qualifications
The MBA programme is intellectually demanding and requires you to quickly absorb and analyse new material and apply it in a fast-moving environment. We need to be confident that you have the ability to rise to the intellectual challenges the programme presents.
We require you to have:
- A strong undergraduate degree result (UK bachelor or international equivalent as recognised by UK NARIC) from a recognised university, or a higher level degree
- Postgraduate, specialisation and professional qualifications can strengthen an application and compensate for a weaker performance in the bachelor’s degree
Exceptionally, mature and experienced managers with the potential to meet the learning requirements of the MBA may also be considered as candidates (see below: MBA Admission route for applicants who do not have a degree).
Degree qualifications vary by country and university, however for the bachelor’s degree we normally look for the equivalent of a first class or upper second class honours result in the UK system. We normally expect candidates to be in the top 25% of their class.
We consider candidates from any subject discipline; however you should be numerate with the ability to think critically and logically, and to integrate ideas. You should also have a good awareness of economic and international affairs.
A professional accountancy qualification is required for the Global Finance Accelerated MBA route. Examples of professional accountancy qualifications:
- ACA, FCA or CA (Chartered Accountant)
- ACCA or FCCA (Chartered Certified Accountant)
- ACMA or FCMA (Chartered Management Accountant)
- CPFA (Chartered Public Finance Accountant)
- AAIA or FAIA (International Accountant)
- AFA or FFA (Incorporated Financial Accountant)
- AICPA or FCPA (Certified Public Accountant)
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant)
All MBA applicants must take an admissions test and we will not normally assess your application until we have your result. When you complete the application form, you can choose to take the Manchester Admissions Test (MAT), GMAT® or GRE®.
Most Global MBA candidates take the Manchester Admissions Test (MAT), which is designed and delivered by Talent Q.
- The MAT is completed online so you can take it at your convenience at home, in your office or anywhere with a good internet connection
- There are three short assessments (verbal, numerical and logical) that do not require preparation and take around 45 minutes to complete
- We will provide you with a login and password to take the test after you submit your MBA application. The invitation will come from email@example.com. Please save this email to your contacts so that the invitation does not get delivered to your junk email
We will not assess your MBA application until we have received your admissions test result. You should take the test as soon as you receive the MAT invitation, as we are keen to give you a decision about your admission to the MBA as soon as possible.
GMAT and GRE require dedicated preparation to optimise your performance and you will need to register to take the test on a particular date in an official test centre. If you have already completed the GMAT or GRE, you will be asked to enter your scores on the application form. If you are intending to take GMAT or GRE, you will need to provide your planned test date in order to submit the MBA application form.
How will we use your result in our admissions decision?
The admissions test is only one of our admission criteria; we are looking for candidates with the 'right fit' for the Manchester MBA. We take a holistic view when evaluating applications, considering the ‘person’ rather than a score. We place more emphasis on professional, academic and personal achievements, and on leadership and team working skills. A very good test result does not necessarily give a better chance of admission, and a weaker result does not mean you cannot be admitted.
Minimum of three years’ post-graduation work experience, with strong consistent career progression and achievement
The Manchester Global MBA develops strategic business knowledge and international perspective, and provides training in leadership and managerial skills. It is designed to build on previous professional experience, therefore it is important that our MBA candidates have good, relevant experience in order to fully contribute and benefit.
We normally require:
- At least three years’ full-time work experience after graduation (from completion of your undergraduate degree to commencing the MBA), or
- Eight to ten years’ managerial experience instead of a recognised degree
Global MBA Finance Accelerated
- At least three years’ professional experience, plus evidence of strong career progression and a recognised degree, or
Eight to ten years’ managerial experience instead of a recognised degree
Professional accountancy qualifications such as ACCA, CIMA
Entry is competitive. When assessing your suitability to benefit from the Manchester MBA and your aptitude/potential as a future business leader, we are looking for the following:
- A strong CV/resume showing
- A good level of responsibility
- Consistent (and ideally fast-track) career progression
- Strong achievements for the length of your career to date, demonstrating impact in your organisation and higher than average performance in your industry sector / function compared to your peers
- Leadership/management experience and potential, including some or all of the following:
- Management/leadership of teams/colleagues
- Client relationship management
- Financial/budgetary responsibility
- Project management/leadership
- Managing across different parts of an organisation
- Decision making, contribution to strategy
The majority of candidates come from business, finance, engineering or entrepreneurial backgrounds, however we are interested in candidates from any sector. We have admitted successful MBA students from many non-traditional business sectors, including military, healthcare, legal, leisure/sports and the creative arts. We also have alumni working in successful careers in many non-traditional business sectors.
Professional skills and competencies
Success on the MBA programme and your future career also depends on other work-related skills and competencies e.g. analytical skills, numeracy, negotiation, presentation, problem-solving, reasoning, creativity, ability to generate ideas, etc. Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint is essential. We look for evidence that you have, or can develop these competencies.
International exposure (valued)
Although not an essential requirement, international exposure can add a competitive edge to your application. Our MBA has a strong international focus and we are looking for people with an international outlook. We look favourably on candidates who have experience of living and working in international teams or environments. International exposure is also valued by post-MBA employers. The Manchester Global Part-time MBA provides considerable advantages if you are seeking an international career.
Entrepreneurial experience (valued)
Entrepreneurial experience and creativity (within your own business or a corporate environment) are highly valued. Candidates with the ability to innovate are often strong contributors during the MBA programme, and alumni involved in entrepreneurship can contribute significantly to society and communities. We look to admit candidates with the ability to perceive opportunities and contribute ideas to the class, thereby enhancing the stimulating learning environment of the MBA.
Strong team player
Team working skills are essential for success on the MBA. We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate the qualities of a team player, i.e. innovative and effective contributors with the ability to work constructively and collaboratively in international teams. We expect you to be able to communicate opinions and ideas clearly and honestly, show respect for others, and work in the best interests of your MBA teams and project clients.
Excellent communication skills
Communication, interpersonal and relationship management skills are essential for success on the MBA programme and in senior level business careers. We therefore place a strong emphasis on these key requirements. We expect you to be highly articulate with strong communication skills in English (see English requirements below). This will enable you to effectively share your experience and ideas in the classroom and in student groups, and in written reports and presentations.
Emotional intelligence and personal qualities
We look for candidates who are mature, motivated, energetic, ambitious and enthusiastic, with strong personal values, social awareness, sense of community and integrity.
In addition to intellectual ability, experience, team working and communication skills, key requirements are; leadership characteristics, emotional intelligence, self-awareness, self-management, and openness to change and personal growth. We are looking for people who are willing to share and learn from the experience and ideas of others, and who are able to accept and value constructive feedback from MBA colleagues, project supervisors and company representatives.
English language competence
Candidates for the Global MBA are not automatically required to take an English Language test. If you have taken an English test please provide the details of your score in the application form and email a copy of your score report. English competence is assessed throughout the admissions process through:
- The application form and essays
- Admissions Test (verbal reasoning)
- An interview (if further proof of English is required)
If further evidence is needed of English language proficiency, we may ask you to take an official English language test to prove your competency.
Admission route for applicants without a degree
If you do not have a degree, it may be possible to gain a place without the specified formal academic qualifications. Your application will be considered through the accreditation of prior learning (APL), which may be certificated or experiential. Credit is allocated for evidence of achieving appropriate and assessed learning outcomes, rather than for experience itself. We can consider your application if you:
- Can demonstrate high levels of achievement, exceptional career progression and significant management experience in a leadership position or,
- Have an excellent track record as a successful entrepreneur
You need to show alternative evidence of intellectual ability e.g. strong school results, professional training courses, non-degree business qualifications. A strong GMAT score and/or strong performance on the Manchester Admissions Test will be required.
We advise you to discuss your circumstances with us before submitting an application.