PhD in Business and Management
This PhD programme pathway provides advanced training to develop innovative research in all areas of business and management.
Duration: 3 years full-time / 6 years part-time
PhD in Business and Management research focus
Working alongside our academic experts, PhD students focus on the following areas:
- Critical management studies
- Data science
- Decision science
- Fairness and dignity at work
- Health services management and policy
- Human resource management and industrial relations0
- Innovation management
- International business and management
- Organisational psychology
- Operational research
- Operations management
- Organisational studies
- Supply chain management
“Alliance MBS’ high reputation and world-leading research output attracted me to study here. Due to the excellent track record of PhD placements and research output, I knew I would have a very good supervisory team for my doctoral thesis, with good publication prospects.
“I have experienced first-class supervision and support at Alliance MBS; with an emphasis on helping me to achieve the very best I can while also offering practical advice regarding academic careers.
“There are great opportunities to be involved in the School with attendance at seminars and units from other programmes. Staff are incredibly supportive and there to help. It’s an excellent place to be, where you can carry out research that really makes a difference.”
Karen Nokes, UK
PhD in Business and Management
- Develop your research proposal
- Complete the Research Training Programme
- Study a series of units designed to enhance understanding in your chosen field.
- Research Process
Plus two additional units from:
- Critical Perspectives on International Business
- Critical Research Methods
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Qualitative Research Methods in Practice
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Science, Technology and Innovation Studies
- The Craft of Fieldwork: Method, Text and Writing
You can also choose elective units and workshops in action research, case study research, NVivo, elite interviewing, meta-analysis, mixed methods, advanced survey design.
Years 2 and 3
- Focus on thesis research, analysis and writing under the guidance of supervisors
- Participate in research seminar series and research centres
- Presentation and job market skills training
- Present your work at conferences
Linked research institutes and centres
There are a number of institutes and centres at the School conducting world-leading research in the area of business and management.
Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health
Part of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and a partnership between providers and commissioners from the NHS, industry, the third sector and the University.
Read more about the Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health >>
Decision and Cognitive Science Research Centre
A world-leading centre of research excellence in the areas of Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis (MCDA) and Decision Support Systems (DSS).
Health Services Research Centre
A leading research centre in the study of health services organisation, management and leadership, research implementation and policy.
Manchester Institute of Innovation Research
A world-leading centre of excellence in the study of science, technology and innovation policy and management.
Sustainable Consumption Institute
Multidisciplinary centre of global excellence researching major national and international issues associated with sustainability and consumption.
Read more about the Sustainable Consumption Institute >>