Entrepreneur and Baroness of Mayfair, Lady Michelle Mone was the first guest speaker of Entrepreneurs@Manchester 2015/16, Manchester Enterprise Centre’s speaker series.
Michelle’s words of advice for entrepreneurs and start-ups
- Have a brand bible; it should include everything – from size range and price point, to the age and disposable income of your target audience.
- Don’t get rid of the fear of failure, that’s what should drive you. It’s good to get out of your comfort zone as that’s when you grow.
- Sometimes you have to take a kicking so you can get up, dust yourself off and aim higher.
- Don’t be quick to judge and criticise.
- Never be afraid to ask questions, learn from everyone.
- Give yourself an hour a day just for you. A healthy mind and body = heathy career and business.
- Encourage people to be successful.
- Never over-promise and under-deliver. If you think of the worst thing that can happen and manage it, then it won’t go wrong.
- Get that mentor – whether it be family, friend or business contact – right by your side. Question, question and question them, and then make a decision.
- Go to bed satisfied that you’re organised and don’t put off something that you can do today. Then wake up determined and positive. If you don’t, your day will be a nightmare.
- Go with your heart; feel it, smell it, taste it and then go for it.
Don’t miss the next Entrepreneurs@Manchester with Angus Thirlwell, founder of Hotel Chocolat, taking place at Alliance Manchester Business School West on Thursday 19 November 2015 at 5pm. To book a place, visit the Manchester Enterprise Centre website: www.mbs.ac.uk/enterprise